Sharp and Pioneer have officially announced that their optical disc joint venture – Pioneer Digital Design and Manufacturing Corporation – will launch on October 1st of this year. As we previously reported, Sharp and Pioneer agreed to merge their optical disc business as part of Pioneer’s restructuring plan.
The joint venture will be located within Pioneer’s Kawasaki Plant in Japan, with Pioneer owning 66% of the new corporation, and Sharp owning the remaining 34%.

The companies hope that by joining their optical disc businesses that they can better compete with other manufacturers who have, so far, been much more successful selling their Blu-ray products.