The Simaudio MOON 380D Digital-to-Analog Converter, our latest addition to the MOON Series of audio components. Designed around our M-AJiC32 circuitry (an asynchronous jitter elimination system) performing in true 32-bit fully asynchronous mode, the MOON 380D features the ESS SABREP32P Ultra DAC operating in 32-bit Hyperstream™ where the conversion process uses an astonishing 8 DAC’s per channel. Raising the bar further, there are eight (8) digital inputs covering the full gamut of connections – AES/EBU on XLR (2), S/PDIF on RCA (2), S/PDIF on BNC (1), Optical (2) and USB (1). All of these inputs can accept a signal up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution. Finally, we’ve included both a full digital monitor loop (S/PDIF) to accommodate external devices such as a room correction component, as well as one S/PDIF digital output.
Enhancing this Digital-to-Analog Converter are two (2) separate options; (i) The MOON MiND music streamer module which is actually a digital 9th input via WiFi or Ethernet connection, and (ii) a high quality remote-controlled volume circuit feeding both balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) analog outputs. The MOON 380D is targeted at individuals with computer-based audio setups, large digital music collections or multiple digital sources.
Significant Design Features
• True 32-bit Digital-to-Analog converter using ESS Technology SABRE32 Ultra DAC / Digital Filter (ES9016) working in 32-bit Hyperstream™ to achieve unprecedented jitter immunity and low-level linearity via a patented Time Domain Jitter Eliminator.
• Digital Audio Signal Processing using M-AJiC32 (MOON Asynchronous Jitter Control in 32-bit mode)
• A virtually jitter-free “1 picosecond” digital clocking system
• Optional MiND (MOON intelligent Network Device) module (9th input) via WiFi or Ethernet input for multi-room streaming
• Optional variable analog outputs (balanced & single-ended) using M-eVOL volume circuit which was originally developed for the MOON Evolution series. Accessible using the remote control, this volume operates in 0.5dB increments. M-eVOL is based on a resistive array configuration with no sonic degradation of the audio signal regardless of the chosen volume setting
• The entire analog stage is a fully balanced differential circuit for increased dynamic range and headroom, higher resolution, as well as improved signal-to-noise ratio.
• A very short signal path using a DC servo circuit and proprietary 12dB/octave analog filter
• Separate digital & analog power supplies using 2 independant toroidal transformers with 11 stages of voltage regulation
• Four-layer PCB tracings for a dramatically improved signal-to-noise ratio
• RS-232 port for (i) full unsolicited bidirectional feedback and (ii) firmware updates
• 12 Volt trigger outputs for remote operation and IR input for external control
• SimLink controller port allows for 2-way communications between other compatible MOON components.
The MOON 380D will be available in April 2012 with an MSRP $3,900.00 USD for the base version; add $600.00 for variable analog outputs; add $1,200.00 for the MOON MiND streamer.