September 2011. Milan Italy. Naim today launched the ND5 XS: Naim’s first network player to stream 24bit/192kHz sources natively. Designed and engineered to integrate into Naim’s range at a similar quality level as Naim’s slimline XS series, the ND5 XS is performance upgradeable in stages as the owner demands. The ND5 XS is performance upgradeable currently by the addition of a XPS or PS 555 power supply and/or Naim DAC. A matching slimline power supply will be available next year.
The ND5 XS is a network player designed to match Naim’s XS series products. Naim envisages the owners of the ND5 XS using it, primarily, as a high-end quality streamer playing back music ripped from CDs or hi-res music downloaded from the many online stores.
Technically, the ND5 XS draws significantly from the hugely successful Naim DAC and Naim NDX. The innovative and SHARC DSP-based buffering with fixed clocks is utilised along with 16 times oversampling and Naim’s proprietary, low-generated noise, digital filtering algorithms.
The ND5 XS adds far more to a system than just streaming. It includes three S/PDIF digital inputs to support connection from computers, to set top boxes, to CD players.
It includes internet radio – the radio of the future –supported by vTuner’s five star full service. Search for stations by genre, location or just simply by name. New stations are added automatically to the searchable database. Add special favourites or less common feeds to ‘added stations’ via Naim’s internet radio webpage. Also included is Naim’s Choice delivering Naim-recommended stations including exclusive higher quality radio streams.
Apple authentication enables digital connection of iPhone, iPad and iPod allowing the ND5 XS to play all stored music, podcasts or audiobooks. Play music on a USB stick, even those containing hi-resolution WAV or FLAC files, with full on-screen control.
Control the ND5 XS with the front-panel buttons, the supplied remote control or an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running the FOC n-Stream app. The app also enables System Automation; allowing control of a Naim system’s inputs and volume.
Choose the optional FM/DAB module to add terrestrial radio stations. Maybe your favourite radio station has yet to start its internet radio stream.
• UPnPTM Network Player for sources up to 24bit/192kHz sampling (includes 32Bit Floating Point)
• Internet radio with vTuner 5* full service
• Optional FM/DAB module
• Front-panel USB port for USB stick playback
• Apple authenticated digital iPod/iPhone playback
• Three S/PDIF inputs – (coax 24bit/192kHz, optical 24bit/96kHz)
• Gapless Playback
• Streams and plays WAV, FLAC, AIFF, AAC, WMA, Ogg Vorbis and MP3
• Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. 802.11b, g and n wireless for convenience
• Naim digital buffering with fixed sampling rates for Zero S/PDIF Jitter
• Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering using SHARC 40bit FP DSP
• Optical isolation (galvanic isolation) of all key elements
• Buffered Digital output on 75Ω BNC connector
• Linear power supply — Large toroidal transformer with four secondary outputs.
• Separate power supplies for digital, analogue, DSP and clock
• Performance upgradeable with XPS or 555 PS power supply
• Performance upgradeable with Naim DAC
• Ground selector switch for optimum performance
• Naim low-profile non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
• OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
• British design and build
Distributed in Canada by: www.plurison.com/